Website Internal Revenue Service
Office of Chief Counsel, IRS, is looking for hundreds of experienced and enthusiastic individuals to join our team and gain valuable experience in a legal environment. Our mission is to serve America’s taxpayers fairly and with integrity by providing correct and impartial interpretation of the internal revenue laws and the highest quality legal advice and representation for the IRS. It is a great place to work with an excellent benefits package and family-friendly atmosphere.
- Tax Litigation- You will be assigned cases docketed in the United States Tax Court. Duties may include preparation of answers to petitions, replies, motions and any other documents germane to proper handling of the case.
- For General Litigation work the incumbent: Furnishes advice and opinions to the IRS, the Department of Justice, etc., in any matter (court and non-court) incident to the assessment and collection of taxes. Advises field administrative officers, handles the legal work, and assists the
- Department of Justice and United States Attorneys in cases involving tax matters. Recommends what suits should be brought or interventions or counterclaims filed by the Government in connection with the collection of internal revenue taxes or the recovery of erroneous refunds thereof and the basis for defense of tax litigation suits against the United States.
- Assignment of a case pending in the Tax Court also includes responsibility for ascertaining the legal correctness of the position(s) determined in the statutory notice of deficiency as well as preparation for the case for trial and settlement.
- Provides legal advice and assistance to the IRS, Independent Offices Appeals and other Division Counsel concerning issues within their area of topical jurisdiction. Researches, analyzes facts and writes legal opinions in response to questions.
- Receive assignments of the most difficult and complex types of work in one or more of the following functions within the office depending upon the specialty of tax to which assigned-Tax Litigation or General Litigation.
- For District Court and Claims Court: Reviews pleadings and files and prepares defense letter to the Department of Justice, Tax Division, setting out the Commissioner’s position on defense of a suit involving merits of the tax, etc., including in appropriate cases, discussing the propriety of jurisdiction, any suggested motions that may be appropriate, the particular defense that is recommended and whether or not the case is one that the Department of Justice may settle without further coordination.
Company: Internal Revenue Service
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Kansas City, MO, US
Application Deadline: N/A